Helical Levity is led by world renowned cyber security expert James Lyne and combines a team of passionate and talented designers, developers and security researchers. Together we design and build industry leading tools that, amongst other things, help to identify and develop new cyber security talent. Our key product, CyberStart, is a suite of tools which support three major programmes in the UK and US:
The product, built mainly for young adults, is an engaging cyber security game where students take on the role of an agent in the cyber protection agency and get to hack, forensicate and code break their way through levels filled with a rich narrative, immersive design and realistic security labs. The product has been used by over 200k young adults, but we're still only at the beginning of an exciting roadmap we'll be working through over the next couple of years.
We’re looking for a passionate developer who delivers secure, maintainable and scalable solutions. The right candidate would be interested in developing into a lead position. You’ll be required to undertake code reviews and architecture overviews, mentoring other developers on Symfony, best practises, OOP principle and design patterns and lead the transition of our codebase to Symfony and other technologies.
Much of the team work remotely but we do have an office in Ascott-under-Wychwood. There is the option to work in either environment but we do tend to meet up in Ascott-under-Wychwood or London to catch up on projects on a fairly regular basis, so being within a sensible travel distance of either would be useful.
- Work on the new projects based on Symfony
- Implement and maintain best practices and advance design patterns
- Following and promoting DDD, BDD and TDD alongside SOLID and DRY principles
- Working in improving our CI and CD pipelines
- Be the liaison between development and dev-ops team to allow for dev-ops practices within the development team
- Mentor other developers in the adoption of Symfony and advanced OOP
Our tech stack
- Backend is for the most part PHP based and typically we use the Laminas Mezzio micro-framework
- We are in the process of starting an overhaul of our products, and are in the process of moving to Symfony with parts completely isolated in AWS Lambdas and microservices
- Twig template engine
- MySQL and AWS Aurora
- Jenkins and GitHub Actions
- Various AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, Lambdas)
- Python for scripting and Lambdas
- Must have knowledge of setting up and working with CI/CD pipelines
- Must have strong understanding of design patterns and principles: OOP; DDD; BDD and TDD alongside SOLID and DRY principles. Knowledge of reactive pattern and actor model is a plus.
- Experienced in Symfony
- Experienced in Doctrine
- Good knowledge of AWS required
- PHP, ideally with knowledge of PSRs (mainly PSR-7/ PSR-15)
- Knowledge of Docker required
- Strong knowledge in PHPunit and Behat
- Strong understanding of testing best practices
- Proven experience of working with high traffic and high volume websites
- Knowledge of Python, Go, Node is considered a plus
- Knowledge of Microservice Architecture
Nice to haves
- Knowledge of Codeception
- A passion and understanding of Web Application Security
- MySQL, including database optimisation
- Laminas Mezzio knowledge
- Experience with front end frameworks (React, Angular or Vue)
Level and salary
- We're open to applicants with a variety of skill and experience levels.
- Salary is negotiable and dependent on experience.
- Private healthcare.
- Flexible working with some core working hours.
- 28 days holiday plus bank holidays per year.
- Regular team-building away days.
Please email email@example.com with your CV and any further information you think would be relevant for us to see.