Helical Levity is led by world renowned cyber security expert James Lyne and combines a team of passionate and talented designers, developers and security researchers. Together we design and build industry leading tools that, amongst other things, help to identify and develop new cyber security talent. Our key product, CyberStart, is a suite of tools which support three major programmes in the UK and US:
The product, built mainly for young adults, is an engaging cyber security game where students take on the role of an agent in the cyber protection agency and get to hack, forensicate and code break their way through levels filled with a rich narrative, immersive design and realistic security labs. The product has been used by over 200k young adults, but we're still only at the beginning of an exciting roadmap we'll be working through over the next couple of years.
We're looking for a passionate developer who delivers secure, maintainable and scalable solutions. You'll be required to undertake and participate in code reviews and design discussions.
Much of the team work remotely but we do have an office in Ascott-under-Wychwood. There is the option to work in either environment but we do tend to meet up in Ascott-under-Wychwood or London to catch up on projects on a fairly regular basis, so being within a sensible travel distance of either would be useful.
- Develop React components
- Be pivotal in helping the team making informed decision for the frontend architecture of our applications
- Working on the frontend side of our apps improving our templating structure, styling and mark-up
- Work on the new projects based on Symfony
- Implement and maintain best practices and advance design patterns
- Following and promoting DDD, BDD and TDD alongside SOLID and DRY principles
Our tech stack
- Backend is for the most part PHP based and typically we use the Laminas Mezzio micro-framework
- We are in the first phase of overhauling our products, we are moving to Symfony with parts of the product being completely isolated in AWS Lambdas and microservices. React components will be used for the modularisation of the FE
- Twig template engine
- MySQL and Aurora DB
- Jenkins and GitHub Actions
- Various AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, Lambdas)
- Python for scripting and Lambdas
- Strong experience with front end frameworks (React, Angular or Vue)
- Must understand design patterns and principles: OOP; DDD; BDD and TDD alongside SOLID and DRY principles
- Some experience in Symfony required
- PHP, ideally with knowledge of PSRs (mainly PSR-7/ PSR-15)
- Strong understanding of testing best practices
- Proven experience of working with high traffic and high-volume websites
Nice to haves
- Doctrine knowledge is a plus
- Knowledge of Docker nice to have
- Knowledge of Codeception
- A passion and understanding of Web Application Security
- MySQL, including database optimisation
- Schemaless DBs, Mongo, Dynamo DB
- Laminas Mezzio knowledge
Level and salary
- We're open to applicants with a variety of skill and experience levels.
- Salary is negotiable and dependent on experience.
Company benefits include:
- Private healthcare.
- Flexible working with some core working hours.
- 28 days holiday plus bank holidays per year.
- Regular team-building away days.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and any further information you think would be relevant for us to see.
< Back to all careers